Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Crossing the College Sports Desert: Living in Razorback Mecca


My old friend Mary Parks Seiter sent me a post on Facebook recently reminding me that Razorback Football season was so many days, hours, and minutes away. I admit I like being thought of and considered, especially when your talking about our beloved Hawgs. But living in Fayetteville, AR in the summer is like living in a town full of shops that have wonderful foods, treats, and exotic beverages, but they're closed for the season.....just one reminder after another of what your missing. You see in the College Sports Mecca of Arkansas, crossing the sports desert starts after the last game of Razorback Baseball, which a loyal fan always hopes last into June (CWS~Omaha) and ends with the 1st Razorback Football game which this year is September 3rd against Missouri State.
DWR Razorback Stadium
                                                        
Baum Stadium
My beloved Baum Stadium, Bud Walton Arena, and of course the city onto itself 5 times a year, Donald W. Reynolds Razorback Stadium are probably in the top 5 of my Fav Venues, but this time of year, they're just plain hard to drive by and see empty - I often feel as I did the days right after I decided to quit smoking nearly 10 years ago...oh please, just one game til fall...baseball, basketball, how about another Red/White Scrimmage.....please.....

Well, I guess distractions like unbearable heat, failing air conditioners, dying crops, suffering pets, and unquenchable thrist have their place after all. Thank goodness for the Concerts in Gulley Park, Dickson St. Entertainment, and Swimming Pools....lots of swimming pools. 

Go Hogs Go .... and quickly!                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment